20071026

Day 23: Slippery When Wet

Nogi today. I went with a new long-sleeved rash guard to minimize my exposure to the mats, with drug-resistant staph causing all sorts of hysteria. Better safe than sorry, I suppose. Ringworm sucks too.

I got started with some informal drilling with Ian. We worked triangles, then some sweeps. I liked the hip bump sweep. Open your guard, then sit up (on an elbow if necessary) and get your same-side arm behind uke. Then bridge towards him and twist your torso to sweep. Finish in mount. We also worked the hook sweep from butterfly (including the leg-slide variant). We started to roll lightly (Ian's a little guy) but my nose started bleeding again. Damn you, dry, soot-filled air!

After staunching my flow, Damon and I lined up for a go. It was a pretty good one. I showed some mobility and even had a chance to work my new triangle escape-- and it worked! Later, Damon went for the D'Arce/Brabo grip when I was turtled. In response, I went for the Kimura try that Omar showed me but I couldn't get it to go. Eventually he nailed me with a Kimura of his own but I think I did a pretty good job.

At the end of the session Jack was game, so we rolled a bit. He triangled me several times, which sucked. However, I did manage to escape his side control (he probably let me) and get full guard. He broke my guard pretty quickly, but let me in on a good insight, one that I am slowly coming around to. He scooped my leg, which to him was an instant "signal" for triangle. Moves have signatures, templates perhaps, that demand their application. That is how we "flow with the go"; by reading the signals our opponent sends and the templates he cycles through. For example: uke in your open guard, one arm out = triangle. Hand flat on the mat = Kimura. You can short-circuit the decision making process, achieve "no mind," by using the template positions as triggers. I'll be on the lookout for more of these as my training progresses.

No comments: