20071010

Day 14: Luxurious

So I may have earned a nickname: Luxurious. At least, that's what it'll be if Damon has his way. We were rolling, and he was probably about to armbar me, but at the time he had his face near mine and got a dose of the beard. He said something about it, and I replied that my growth was "luxurious". There it is.

We drilled the bicep sweep from the spider guard. Get your feet on his hips, and get grips on both sleeves. Try to get your knees inside his arms. Break him down, then shoot a leg into the crook of his elbow, nice and high, keeping the grip on his sleeve. Move your hips to get your leg higher, so that you are on your opposite side, ready to come up on your opposite elbow. Drop your other leg off his hip flat on the mat as the sweep pivot. Then pull with your arms and sweep him over with your leg to finish in mount. You can also triangle from here-- the pushing pressure on his bicep will induce him to push back. Slip your foot off his bicep as he pushes back, trap the other arm as you push on the hip (your foot was already there!) to turn your torso and go right into the triangle.

I sparred with Luke, Damon, James, and Jack. Damon showed me a nifty pass of half guard. Inch the foot of your trapped leg towards his butt so your knee comes uo until you can slip it out. Simple. Jack was brutal-- he wanted to try some things Roger showed him, and I guess I make a good dummy since I struggle a lot but don't really know how to do anything. He held my head up off the mat, so that I couldn't bridge off of it. This shortens your lever arm to the base of your shoulders and makes your upa much, much less effective. This one is simple enough for me to give it a try in the next few sessions.

Man, I need to sleep a bit.

No comments: