20071003

Day 11: Half Half and Half

Rod taught the white belts yesterday, delivering a structured lesson plan and teaching us some interesting techniques. I'm writing this the day after training for the first time, and the moves are already cloudy, convincing me that I shouldn't continue this practice.

First was a nifty escape series from side control. Your opponent is on your left. You have the underhooks (easier said than done?). Turn your hips so you can hook his heel with yours. Upa, then hip escape, push on his other knee, and slide your knee in front, then around his back. Finally remove the hooked heel and recover full guard.

I got my first formal instruction on the half guard, which is great, since I find myself there a lot when I can't recover full guard, for whatever reason. It's important to stay on your side in the half guard, keeping your opponent's weight off of you. We worked on recovering full guard from here first.

Rod then had us do a drill starting with one person in side control. Top man must improve his position or get a submission, bottom man must attempt to recover guard. Whoever accomplishes their goal first stayed on, and a new person rotated in. I did pretty well against the other white belts, and stayed through a full round.

Sparring was with Thomas, whom I outweigh but who is strong, determined and tough. I was able to armlock him with an Americana, but he came back and armbarred me. He's quite good and I was pleased that I held my own.

I'm starting to wear down a bit. My toes are hurting pretty bad and my shoulders are very sore as well. Wednesday will be an off day, then I plan to train Thursday and take Friday, Saturday and Sunday off to rest.

No comments: