20080212

Day 70: Mount Escapes, Knives

On Monday (day 69) I had some good rolls that spanned the jiu-jitsu spectrum. Christian and I had a protracted, deliberate, technical roll that ended when I got stupid and got armbarred. It's the first time I have really been subbed because I lost focus and not because I lacked skill. Jason then took over and sent me off with a painful 350 pound pressure sub. Finally Jack transitioned a triangle to an armbar for my last tap of the night.

Today I was a bit worse for wear. Khalil had me work mount escapes with Marc. We started with the standard elbow escape. From there, we worked a re-counter to an opponent posting his leg and turning when you get on your side (looking for an armbar, perhaps). If you are on your right side, uke has his left leg posted over you. Keep your left arm in tight against his belt, and underhook his posted leg deeply with your right arm. Slide your left arm under his butt as you upa, shift your hips, and drive through with both legs now underhooked. Stack him, get a lapel grip, and pass to side control.

Lastly we drilled a reversal for situations where your opponent tries to get mount from side control. If you are too slow to stop the attempt, but fast enough to react, you can grab his far knee and get your forearm in his ribs and drive to take him over. You end up in his guard. This works if your opponent is sloppy or tries to mount too fast and lets his momentum carry him past your center of gravity.

As we were finishing up, Damon and Craig stopped by to hang out in their work clothes. Damon showed us some nifty Youtube stuff, like this awesome knife fight from the Korean action flick City of Violence. Where is your jiu-jitsu now, eh?

No comments: