20070928

Day 9: Do not fear growing slowly

We go no-gi on Fridays, and it's a different game, for sure. The 5 o'clock class had an interesting drill that I missed out on-- working on weaknesses. This was basically situational grappling, with guys rotating through the positions they have trouble with, live. I guess it was not such a big deal to miss it, since I need work on everything.

The six o'clock drill was the armbar from the guard. Get an overhand cross grip on the arm. Reach across to their opposite shoulder, then pivot your body using foot pressure on their hip and your grip on their shoulder. Shoot the near leg up under their armpit, then push their head over so your other leg can clear it. Squeeze your knees and raise your hips-- don't cross your ankles. Keep your knees and shins tight against your opponent the entire time to keep them in control.

I rolled with Craig a few times and he was very good at recovering guard after I got side control. He showed me a way to combat the knee slide by underhooking the near leg. I think I made some progress with openings and guard passing, but I still left myself vulnerable to several armbars. I've got to resist extending my arms so freely and keep my elbows in. I'm starting to internalize this. Damon was obliging with an armbar as well, though I held him off for longer this time. Finally I rolled with James, who is about 170. I was dominant in side control (with the benefit of 50 pounds) but I couldn't finish as his defense was very strong.

Things are starting to make more sense. Going forward I'm going to try and work on my quickness, which is lacking, and my moves from the closed guard.

No comments: